This is a classic potato salad found at any folk festival or fairground in Panama. This Ensalada de Feria is the perfect dish for the summer: it is both fresh and colourful making an ideal side dish for a BBQ this summer.
You can make it the day before or in the morning and keep it in the fridge until everybody is gathered around the BBQ ready to enjoy those steaks or chops with a side of this wonderful salad
- 1 kg Coliban potatoes (about 6 small), peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 3 medium beetroot (boiled ) cut into medium sized pieces.
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters or smaller pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped, (about 1 cup)
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- ¾ tablespoon prepared mustard
- ¾ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- cooked fresh green peas, cooled, for garnish (optional)
- Cover potatoes and carrots with salted water and cook over medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes or until just tender (Do not overcook them)
- Into a large bowl place the potatoes, carrots, beetroot chunks and eggs.
- In a separate bowl mix the onion, celery, mayonnaise, evaporated milk, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Incorporate the dressing mixture into the potatoes, mixing very gently so that the potatoes do not break apart.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours at least (overnight is even better).
- Stir occasionally (gently) to blend the flavours and intensify the dark pink colour.
In place of the celery try using apple or a 50/50 combination of apple and celery.
Canned baby beetroot can be substituted.
Whenever you are stirring or combining do so VERY GENTLY so as not to break up the potato pieces