This combination of spring-fresh peas and asparagus with a hint of honey is the perfect side-dish to serve with your BBQ chicken as the weather starts to warm.
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped or minced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or minced (optional)
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cut into 3 cm pieces
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ tablespoon honey
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic (if using) and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the asparagus, salt and freshly ground black pepper, and continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas and continue cooking for 3 - 4 minutes until the peas are warmed through and the asparagus spears are tender-crisp. Add the honey and stir through in the last minute of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Use thin asparagus spears. If the spears are thick peel them first. Cut diagonally.
Frozen peas can be substituted for the fresh peas however they should be thawed first.